What Should I Ask For In A Divorce Settlement?
The Divorce Petition
The claims that you can make in the event of the breakdown of the marriage are as follows:
- A claim for spousal maintenance.
- A claim for maintenance in respect of the children.
- A claim for a lump sum.
- A claim in respect of the family home (or any other property which is owned by either one or both of the parties to the marriage).
- A claim in respect of your spouse’s pension.
- A claim in respect of any trusts or settlements in respect of which your spouse has an interest.
- A claim that your spouse should contribute towards or pay the bulk of your legal costs.
These claims are included at the end of your Divorce Petition.